Massage is the most natural and instinctive form of caring for babies. New-born babies experience the world through their senses, such as touch, smell, taste, sound and vision. These senses develop gradually. However, from the moment of birth, babies already understand the language of touch. Our baby massage classes provide you with the skills you need in order to be able to massage your baby at home.
THE BENEFITS OF BABY MASSAGE
Here are some of the potential benefits of baby massage:
- Massage helps to create a unique bond between the parents and the baby.
- It builds confidence for first time parents.
- It relaxes both the baby and the mother/father.
- Mothers who suffer from postnatal depression feel more positive when they experience their baby’s response to the massage.
- Massage helps parents to be aware of their baby’s body and the developmental changes they are going through.
- Regularly massaged babies develop their motor skills quickly.
- It improves circulation, healthy skin and a strong immune system.
- As the baby relaxes during the massage, their muscles relax. This, in turn, can help ease colic pain and constipation.
- Baby massage is highly therapeutic. It can help with several ailments throughout early childhood.
WHAT HAPPENS IN A BABY MASSAGE WORKSHOP?
The workshops are usually held mid morning or early afternoon. There is a soft padding (usually a yoga mat) provided, but you can bring your own baby mat, and also a comfortable cushion to sit on or support your back. Babies can be massaged fully dressed or undressed with a massage medium. We recommend grape seed oil because it is hypoallergenic. Alternatively, you could use an organic baby balm.
You will be massaging your own baby under the guidance of the instructor. We help you to learn a massage routine, but encourage you to listen to your parental instinct. This will allow you to discern your baby’s reaction to certain techniques. You will learn to understand more about your baby’s body language and adapt massage routines to suit them accordingly.
HOW TO BOOK A BABY MASSAGE WORKSHOP
Our periodic Baby Massage workshops are led by massage-trained Paediatric Physiotherapist Lauren Wee in conjunction with Yoga Mama Wellness. These 90-minute workshops cost £30. To see when the next Baby Massage workshop is scheduled to run or to book your place, consult the Yoga Mama Wellness MindBody Online booking system. You can also book by calling us on 020 8789 3881.