Looking to give your body a natural boost? Then why not try this green anti-inflammatory joint health smoothie? High in fibre and low in sugar, this smoothie is also suitable for diabetics and those with blood sugar issues. In a study, a similar smoothie was shown to help with sleep, energy and a variety of symptoms such as pain, joint problems and arthritis.
The ingredients listed below are for an anti-inflammatory joint health smoothie. However, the recipe can be adapted according to the condition being addressed. For example, add maca root and aloe vera for hormone driven issues such as acne. For soothing gut remedies, leave out the turmeric and ginger and add lemon or lime and okra, aloe vera and mint. And finally, to relieve constipation, add beetroot, linseed or chia seeds and hemp seeds, and omit the turmeric. The variations are endless!
- 40 g chopped cucumber
- 40 g spinach
- 20 g chopped fennel bulb
- 20 g rocket
- ½ garlic clove (optional if you really don’t like garlic in the morning!)
- 1 tsp lemon or lime juice
- 10 g fresh unpeeled ginger
- ½ small piece of unpeeled turmeric root
- 1.5 g chlorella
- 20 g avocado
- 2 ice cubes (optional)
- You will also need a bullet or flood blender
- If using a bullet: squash all of the ingredients in to the container. Fill water to the max water line. Blend thoroughly until creamy and smooth.
- If using a blender: place water inside the blending jug first. Add the cucumber and fennel bulb and then blitz.
- Add the remaining ingredients and blend thoroughly until completely smooth.
- Adjust the thickness of the smoothie by adding more water as required.
- Drink the smoothie immediately or place in an airtight container (preferably glass) and refrigerate until required for up to a maximum of 6 hours.
Source: Nadia Brydon, CNM, Vegan Natural Chef